Iron Composer Omaha
Presented as a part of ARTSaha! 2008,
Omaha’s new music festival
Strauss Performing Arts Center
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Five student composers (ages 18-26) will be chosen to compete in person.
First Place - $500
Second Place - $250
Third Place - $100
• Submit one representative score that was composed within the past five years.
• Submit a cover sheet with your name, address, phone number, and email address.
• Deadline for receipt of submissions (not postmark) is
• Send scores via mail to Iron Composer Competition, c/o Ken Bales, Department of Music,
• There is no entry fee.
Five finalists will be selected by a panel and notified that they will participate on or before
• Composers between the ages of 18-26 (on
• Only those composers who submit a cover sheet and scores that are received by the competition officials on or before
• Composers must be available to participate in the event on
• At , composers will be given a specific instrumentation and the “Secret Theme Ingredient”, which could be any kind of musical raw material, such as a chord progression or a found object.
• Composers will have five hours to compose the work and produce a score and parts.
• The facilities of the
• At , music must be submitted to ANALOG arts ensemble for rehearsals.
• All works will be performed and judged at the Final Ceremony, which will take place at
• Judging will be done by a 3-person panel. Judging will be based on the following point system:
o Use of the Secret Ingredient: 15 points
o Originality: 15 points
o Technical Command: 10 points
o Overall Presentation: 10 points
• The composer with the highest number of points will be awarded first place, the second highest number of points will be awarded second place, and the third highest number of points will be awarded third place.
• In case of a tie, the contestant who scores highest on the Use of the Secret Ingredient and Originality will be awarded the prize.
• The decision of the judges is final.
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO BE AN IRON COMPOSER?